I wanted to follow up on my previous post regarding my $2 fall mantel. I am all about doing things on the cheap. It is really a have to and not a want to. I need to be creative as a result. Remember my fall mantelscape?
I made the pillows just for my fall decorating.
I had won an Amazon gift card the other month and I ordered a yard of this fun, orange fabric in anticipation of my fall decorating.
The vintage trunks and basket are things I had already owned.
I made this banner oh so easily.
I cut pennants out by using a pattern I had created to assure they would all be identical in size. I stenciled on the letters to spell the word harvest with acrylic paint. I then attached each piece to a pretty brown ribbon I had with hot glue and viola!
The banner was done. I think it pulls the entire mantel together.
I used an old wooden window frame (it doesn’t have glass) and I use this for projects all the time. These are useful for many reasons with regard to decorating.
If you see one while out and about, I highly suggest you snag it.
I wish I had more of them. Behind the window frame, I secured a piece of fabric I had hand-painted in a chevron pattern – I hand-mixed the color from paints I had in the basement. I really like how the pattern shows through the panes.
The brown wood piece you see behind the frame makes it all pop. This is a piece of fencing I found in the shed at word that no one was using for anything. I was happy to take it and make use of it. I threw on some dark stain and it now functions as the perfect backdrop. Have I mentioned how much I love junk?
I have a thing for what others call junk. I love being able to repurpose old, what appear to be useless pieces into something that is useful! Give me a barn sale full of rusty, old things anyday!
I created this wreath for this occassion. This was the only thing I purchased to create my mantel thus
putting the total at two bucks.
I used a straw wreath and left the plastic on. I took strips of natural fabric and wrapped and hot glued them onto the wreath form. I then created rosettes with fabric in the colors I liked. I used orange and natural burlap as well as yellow gingham. Scrap fabrics suited this purpose fine.
I put some other pieces of fabric on the ends of the flower arrangement and folded them to make them look like fans. I like how that came out.
Sometimes you just have to play around to find the look you want.
I used two smaller pumpkins I had purchased for around the house to paint.
I originally painted with acrylic paint, but the coverage was poor.
I then went to regular paint with primer and this offered better coverage. I then painted on some patterns. I used some pretty ribbon to tie on the stems for extra cuteness!
The little pumpkins are ones from the dollar store I had from previous fall decorating.
I adore the oranges and yellows…it is one of my favorite mantels thus far.
See you back tonight for the Creative Inspiration Linky Party Features!
Have a blessed day!
copyright 2010 Embracing Change at yourblogname.blogspot.com