I purchased the sweetest little antique dresser last month – it was a great price and I couldn’t pass it up.
I knew there was some bubbling and cracked veneer, but I thought I could just fix it up easily somehow.
I didn’t realize the entent of the issues until I was face to face with it.
Do you see all those lumpy bumpy parts?
It was worse than I expected 🙁
I wouldn’t think much of removing the veneer except this piece was smaller and I knew that I wouldn’t be able to turn it around and sell it for a BIG price so I hesitated to put in more work than I would get back.
If I’m being honest, that’s how it works sometimes.
When I purchase a piece I always do a mental calculation which involves the price of the piece as well as what supplies I will need (such as paint and hardware) and the time it will take to redo when considering a piece as well as considering what I will price the finished product at.
So…reluctantly I decided to remove all the veneer from the drawer fronts.
The base of the chest was fine thankfully!
Wouldn’t you know it…that veneer was a BOOGER!
It didn’t come off easily and I really had to get at it.
The method I used to remove veneer involves wetting a towel pretty good and letting it sit on the piece to be worked on overnight as that loosens the glue…see HERE for more.
So I worked at it until I got all that daggone veneer off.
It was work.
I then sanded down the drawers to smooth them out and get off all that leftover glue.
I had to patch and fill some area with filler where I had gouged out the wood unknowingly while removing that veneer a little too enthusiastically.
I was finally ready to paint her up…except she had more imperfections than I cared to admit so rather than paint her up (Plan A)… I had to switch to Plan B…DECOUPAGE.
A good plan, but again, one that would take more time than I wanted to take, but I was fairly confident I would LOVE then end result and it would do this sweet little dresser justice so I just needed to be at peace with the fact that this one would just take more time than I had accounted for.
A little frustrating, but it would be ok.
I was actually starting to get behind my Plan B vision at this point so I could see the light at the end of the tunnel!
I got out my pretty wallpaper and my Modge Podge and got to work cutting pieces of paper and gluing them on.
The drawers were then sealed in a few coats of clear matte Polycrylic when I was done for extra protection.
I added some cute glass knobs from D. Lawless Hardware to finish it off.
The end result was such utter sweetness!
I was pretty satisfied when I was done.
She was a labor of love, but she came out just darling!
I adore her despite her totally hogging up all my time 😉